If there is a pool in your backyard and you have children that live in the home or visit regularly, supervision is so important to a child’s safety.
We all know you cannot possibly watch a child 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Most pool accidents occur when children are in their own home being supervised by their parents.
If you have a child and that child is under the age of 5, PLEASE keep these safety rules in mind:
- Have a pool safety fence installed around the perimeter of your pool
- If you can’t find your child, check the pool. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE
- When having a party, designate a person(s) to watch the children attending at all times
- Just because the children take swimming lessons, DON’T THINK THEY ARE SAFE
- Never let children swim alone!
- Learn CPR
- Have a phone and rescue equipment near the pool at all times
- Do not use drugs or alcohol when using the pool
- Never dive in the shallow end of the pool
- Any door of your home leading into the pool area should be locked at all times and have an alarm installed on them
Although NOTHING can guarantee that an accident will not occur, by following the above tips, you can absolutely help keep you, your children, friends and neighbors safe.