Happy Spring Everyone!
We all know Summer isn’t far off, and neither is the hotter weather. Those times are when we use our lawn sprinkler system the most right? Knowing this, if you haven’t scheduled your appointment for your Sprinkler Start Up with Elite Lawn Sprinklers, Pools & Spas yet, it is time to think about it…before it gets hot!
Lawn Sprinkler System Start Up Service
If you are one of our DIY clients, here are some tips for you:
- Use care when you are first re-pressurizing the sprinkler system. Make sure your PVB is RE-ASSEMBLED properly, then slowly turn on the main control valve (usually this is a gate valve but can be ball valve). If you turn valve on too quickly, you may hear banging or feel vibrations called water hammer and/or risk damage to the fittings.
- Run a test program for approximately 1-2 minutes per zone depending on the size of your property, amount of heads per zone, etc. While running this test, and you are checking sprinkler heads to ensure they are working appropriately, I hope you remembered something to mark any problems you find (flags, ribbon, etc) so you may return later to make any necessary repairs or adjustments.
- If you find you have any PVC issues (cracks, leaks, missing parts) it may be time to call in a professional. This is where the water first comes into your sprinkler, so if you do not repair correctly, you will not only always have a problem, but also a high water bill ( I for one do not wish to pay any more than I already do).
- When setting your controller, keep in mind what watering times are actually needed according to the current weather conditions. The controller timing usually changed at least 1-2 more times throughout the watering season to accommodate weather factors. You also want to make sure your controller is working properly, but if you are like me ad do not wish to be up watching your lawn sprinkler at 4 a.m., I recommend setting it for 5 minutes from current time.
- If your soil is sandy vs clay based, your watering time should be longer. Soil is one of the biggest factors in zone watering times, so it is important to know this. It is NOT recommended, to water daily for short amounts of time, all this will do is teach the grass to grow short roots, causing your lawn to be weak. A weak lawn is usually an unattractive and costly issue.
Well, that’s pretty much it for now. Remember just because the DIY Network makes it look simple (they cut out the bigger problems), it usually isn’t.
Don’t forget the professionals at Elite Lawn Sprinklers, Pools & Spas are here to assist you (732) 257-0702.